Board and batten siding, an enduring hallmark of classic Americana style, is having a modern comeback. What is board and batten siding? It’s a classic exterior home finish defined by clean vertical lines (battens) over a flat base (the board). As a design element, board and batten siding infuses a time-honored charm to the new, creating a style that can infuse residential architecture with character and curb appeal. Board and batten siding is indeed enjoying a resurgence in popularity. Still, it’s more than a passing trend: it’s a timeless and versatile siding choice that can be right for many different styles of homes.
The Enduring Popularity of Board and Batten Siding
What is board and batten siding? It’s a style of exterior siding or interior paneling that can be easily identified by its unique visual characteristics: namely, its trademark narrow, usually vertical wooden strips (the “battens”) laid on top of long, flat boards (the “boards”). This pattern of thin wood or molding strips laid over a flat base adds a subtle dimension and depth that helps define the board and batten style.
The history of board and batten siding’s popularity in the United States dates back to the 19th century, as home construction transitioned away from whole logs and masonry and toward lumber. Also known as “barn siding,” board and batten siding was first and foremost a practical choice for homes, barns, and other rural structures. The boards formed a weather-resistant base barrier, while the vertically installed battens covered the seams between the boards while encouraging rainwater to run down the outside of the house rather than leaking into the interior.
What Is Board and Batten Siding Used for Today?
Board and batten siding continues to appeal to homeowners today. Its long history lends a sense of timelessness to the style, with a distinctive look that exudes warmth, character, and depth. Design elements like board and batten siding can personalize a home and increase its value by lending a touch of architectural elegance.
Many contemporary homeowners may initially be drawn to board and batten siding for its aesthetics. But its allure isn’t just about looks: the functionality of board and batten siding is equally noteworthy.
Practical Advantages of Board and Batten Siding
Beyond its visual appeal, board and batten siding has several critical functional benefits, making it an attractive choice for homeowners who prioritize style and substance. Notable features and benefits include the following:
- Superior weather resistance and durability compared to horizontal sidings
- Suitable for accommodating thicker insulation to maintain consistent home temperatures, allow for better thermal performance, and boost overall energy efficiency
- Versatility and adaptability to a variety of architectural designs, styles, and applications, from contemporary builds to traditional cottage or rustic homes
- Easy to disguise uneven surfaces or add texture to a monotonous exterior
Benefits of Premium Vinyl Board and Batten
While homeowners tend to appreciate the timeless warmth of traditional wooden board and batten siding, many find that there’s one element they appreciate less: the ongoing cost and maintenance of wooden siding. Keeping wood siding in repair and freshly painted is time- and cost-intensive.
Thankfully, there’s a way to access the aesthetic and practical benefits of traditional board and batten siding without the burden of time and maintenance costs that were once required to maintain it.
Liberty Board & Batten Premium Vinyl Siding offers a low-maintenance solution for homeowners who appreciate the classic look of board and batten sidings but want to avoid the high costs and regular maintenance associated with traditional wood. Our premium vinyl siding is versatile and complements various architectural styles, providing exceptional visual appeal with minimal upkeep.
Liberty Board and Batten Vinyl Siding has the distinct, classic look of wood but with all the benefits of vinyl:
- Extra-thick panels (20% thicker than other premium vinyl sidings and 25% thicker than standard vinyl sidings) to ensure greater strength, rigidity, and evenness over time
- Rugged durability, weather resistance, UV protection, and impact resistance thanks to proprietary compounds like PureStrength vinyl resin, Ti-Shield titanium dioxide, StayRight vinyl stabilizers, and TrueShield impact modifiers
- Uniform colors that won’t wash away, eliminating the need for staining or painting
- 13 contemporary color options, each providing a low-gloss, easy-care finish and simple coordination with trim and accessory products
Liberty Board and Batten Premium Vinyl Siding is suitable for homes of any size, from small accent projects to your home’s entire exterior. If you’re ready to replace your home’s vinyl siding, turn to the experts at Liberty Home Solutions. Along with board and batten siding, we’re delighted to offer multiple vinyl siding options to our friends and neighbors in and around Springfield, Missouri. Our vinyl siding has a fade, peel, warp, and hail warranty to ensure your peace of mind. Contact us today to set up a free in-home estimate and explore the possibilities.